What is BORDERS?
BORDERS is a consortium of 18 premier institutions that is dedicated to the development of innovative technologies, proficient processes, and effective policies that will help protect our Nation’s borders, foster international trade, and enhance long-term understanding of immigration determinants and dynamics.
BORDERS' mission is to provide scientific knowledge, develop technologies and techniques, and evaluate policies to meet the challenges of border security and immigration.
BORDERS’ stakeholders include U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), U.S. Coast Guard (USCG), and the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). We also serve as a resource for other federal, state and local agencies involved in border-related issues, such as the Department of Justice (DOJ), Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA), and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
Our Goals and Objectives
BORDERS is engaged in both visionary and user-inspired research. We serve as a systems integrator, using lessons learned from multiple disciplines to help define optimal approaches and speed the implementation of innovative solutions to complex border problems – in the form of new technologies and policy recommendations. Our goals are to:
- Conduct basic research that will inform DHS stakeholders and contribute to the public good
- Engage with DHS and other agencies to develop new research projects and supplemental funding sources
- Actively involve students in all research areas to educate the next generation of researchers and professionals
- Engage in outreach with Congress, law enforcement agencies, DHS customers and other federal agencies to disseminate our research findings and accomplishments
- Continue to identify opportunities to transition our research to the field